About Emmanuel church
Emmanuel Church has been part of life in Holloway since 1884…
Our current building combines part of the original building (including our prayer chapel) with a new, multi-use space built in 1988.
For three decades, Emmanuel has been one of three churches that make up the Tollington Parish (the others being St Mark’s Moray Road and St Saviour’s Hanley Road). But from October 1st 2019, this team will be transformed into three separate parishes and Emmanuel will be known as “Emmanuel Hornsey Road”.
Our parish will incorporate the area of Islington that runs east of the Holloway Road. To the north, the boundary runs along Seven Sisters Road, to Finsbury Park. To the east and south, the railway line marks our border with adjacent parishes.
The Harvist Estate is a key part of our parish, and is built upon the site of St Barnabas Church, which was destroyed in WW2. Its tower blocks feature in our stained glass window, and several of the buildings that form the estate are named after previous vicars of Emmanuel and St Barnabas.